A silly project from my shutdown week back in May. Ever since I first saw the toy train prop of Rusty the steam engine for the 2024 revival of Starlight Express, very clearly based on a Jinty, I immediately made a note that it would be a fun, simple and quick project.
He's made from one of the older Farish N gauge 3F models (The one with the big metal body), stripped down to its component pieces, painted into as close as stage accurate colours as I could find, re-motored with a Tramfabriek kit, put back together again, lettered and finally varnished and weathered.
He looks (and is) simple but there were a few interesting challenges on the way. Firstly, I didn't have (And have apparently never had any need for!) yellow paint - Thank you Railmatch! Secondly, it seems I've run out of 'R's on my decal sheets. The above ones were created using the old school technique of butchering parts of letters - In this case it's a letter 'P' with and additional leg taken from a 'K'. The result looks better than I ever hoped for!
Whoever said there's no need for these older techniques in the modern day hobby?
No comments:
Post a Comment